Community Legal Assistance Society - BC Judicial Review Self-Help Guide

1. Options

If you would like to challenge the decision of an administrative decision maker or tribunal, the first thing you should find out is whether there is a process to review or challenge the decision. Many administrative decision makers have an internal process to challenge a decision, like a review or appeal. For example, if you have a decision from the Review Division of WorkSafeBC, you may be able to appeal that decision to the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal.

A judicial review is a request to the BC Supreme Court to evaluate the decision made by the tribunal and decide whether or not it was unreasonable or unfair. Judicial review can only be undertaken when you have exhausted all internal appeals at the tribunal. This means that generally you cannot judicially review a lower-level decision (for instance, an investigation conducted by the WCB office). If you have a right to appeal to WCB’s review division or the Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal, you must do that before filing for judicial review.

This website, or, is produced for educational purposes only. This website has information on common situations, but does not cover all possible situations. You should not rely on this website as legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should get legal advice on your particular situation.

This website may contain inaccurate or misleading information. The law, including statutes, regulations, court rules, court practices, and court precedents can change without warning and those changes may not be reflected in this website. The Community Legal Assistance Society, its funders, its authors, its contributors, its editors, and the distributors of this website are not responsible for ensuring this website is up-to-date, ensuring the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this website, or any form of damages or monetary loss caused by or attributed to the use of this website, including but not limited to claims based on negligence or breach of contract.

Site by the Community Legal Assistance Society. Content available under Creative Commons CC BY-NC licence. This guide is made possible by funding from the British Columbia Ministry of Justice and the Law Foundation of British Columbia. This guide was originally produced by David Mossop, Q.C.
Law Foundation of British ColumbiaCLAS Community Legal Assistance Society