Community Legal Assistance Society - BC Judicial Review Self-Help Guide

How to File Your Papers

To start your judicial review, you need to go to a BC Supreme Court registry and file your petition and affidavit. This starts the judicial review process.

When you go to the court to file your documents, bring the following:

  • Your original petition, plus enough copies for you and everyone else listed under the “On Notice To” section on the first page;
  • The original of any affidavits in support of your judicial review, plus enough copies for you and everyone else listed under the “On Notice To” section on the first page; and
  • Money to pay the filing fee. Right now it costs $200 to file your petition. The court will accept cash, interac, money orders and cheques.

If you cannot pay the $200, you must ask the court for an order that you do not have to pay the fees before the registry will let you file your petition. You will need to fill out and bring the forms needed to apply for an order that you do not have to pay fees, along with your petition and affidavits.

When you get to the courthouse, look for the civil registry desk and get in line. When it is your turn, tell the clerk at the desk that you are representing yourself in a judicial review and that you would like to file your documents.

The registry will then review your documents. If they are properly filled in, the clerk will take your filing fee and file the documents. The clerk will stamp your original petition and affidavit, and stamp your copies. The clerk will keep the originals at the registry and give you back the copies. The copies are the documents you will need to serve. You should leave with enough stamped copies for you and everyone listed under the “On Notice To” section of your petition.

Once your petition and affidavit are stamped in this way, your judicial review has been filed.

This website, or, is produced for educational purposes only. This website has information on common situations, but does not cover all possible situations. You should not rely on this website as legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should get legal advice on your particular situation.

This website may contain inaccurate or misleading information. The law, including statutes, regulations, court rules, court practices, and court precedents can change without warning and those changes may not be reflected in this website. The Community Legal Assistance Society, its funders, its authors, its contributors, its editors, and the distributors of this website are not responsible for ensuring this website is up-to-date, ensuring the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this website, or any form of damages or monetary loss caused by or attributed to the use of this website, including but not limited to claims based on negligence or breach of contract.

Site by the Community Legal Assistance Society. Content available under Creative Commons CC BY-NC licence. This guide is made possible by funding from the British Columbia Ministry of Justice and the Law Foundation of British Columbia. This guide was originally produced by David Mossop, Q.C.
Law Foundation of British ColumbiaCLAS Community Legal Assistance Society