Community Legal Assistance Society - BC Judicial Review Self-Help Guide

Writing Up the Court’s Order

After the judge gives their decision, you must formally write down what the judge ordered and file it in the court registry. Usually, the person who won the case takes charge of writing out the court’s order. If a person is representing themselves, the court will sometimes order that they do not need to sign the order. If all parties are representing themselves, then sometimes the judge will ask the court registry to write out the order.

To be able to write out the order, you will need to know exactly what the judge ordered. If the judge gives their decision in writing, the order will usually be right at the end of the decision. If the judge reads out their decision, you will have to listen carefully to what the judge ordered.

If you can’t remember or did not understand what the judge said, you can look at the court clerk’s notes at the court registry or through Court Services Online. If needed, you can listen to the recording of the hearing at the court registry.

To write up the order, you will need:

  • The name of the judge that heard your judicial review;
  • The date of the hearing; and
  • What the judge ordered, including whether the judge said that either party was entitled to court costs.

Once you have written out the order, it must be approved and signed by you and all the parties that attended the judicial review hearing, unless the court orders otherwise.

Once all the parties that attended the hearing have signed the order, you need to take it to the court registry and tell them that you want to file it. Keep a copy of the unfiled order for your records.

This is a blank order that you can download and fill in: Blank Order
This is an example order that you can use as a guide: Example Order

This website, or, is produced for educational purposes only. This website has information on common situations, but does not cover all possible situations. You should not rely on this website as legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should get legal advice on your particular situation.

This website may contain inaccurate or misleading information. The law, including statutes, regulations, court rules, court practices, and court precedents can change without warning and those changes may not be reflected in this website. The Community Legal Assistance Society, its funders, its authors, its contributors, its editors, and the distributors of this website are not responsible for ensuring this website is up-to-date, ensuring the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this website, or any form of damages or monetary loss caused by or attributed to the use of this website, including but not limited to claims based on negligence or breach of contract.

Site by the Community Legal Assistance Society. Content available under Creative Commons CC BY-NC licence. This guide is made possible by funding from the British Columbia Ministry of Justice and the Law Foundation of British Columbia. This guide was originally produced by David Mossop, Q.C.
Law Foundation of British ColumbiaCLAS Community Legal Assistance Society