Community Legal Assistance Society - BC Judicial Review Self-Help Guide

How to Serve Other Parties

In most WCAT cases, the only other person involved will be your employer.  To serve your employer, you must do the following:

  • If your employer is a person, you must personally hand the documents to your employer.
  • If your employer is a corporation (like a company):
    – You can personally leave the documents with a manager, clerk or secretary at a company office; or
    – If it is a BC company or society,  you can send the documents by registered mail to the company’s registered office. You can find out a company or society’s registered office by searching for them in the Corporate Registry. If you have a short deadline for service, using registered mail to serve a corporation may not be good option because it could take a few days to get there.

You should include a cover letter (service letter) with the documents saying what documents you served and how you served them.  Remember to note the date and time that you served everyone and the name of the person you gave the documents to.

This website, or, is produced for educational purposes only. This website has information on common situations, but does not cover all possible situations. You should not rely on this website as legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should get legal advice on your particular situation.

This website may contain inaccurate or misleading information. The law, including statutes, regulations, court rules, court practices, and court precedents can change without warning and those changes may not be reflected in this website. The Community Legal Assistance Society, its funders, its authors, its contributors, its editors, and the distributors of this website are not responsible for ensuring this website is up-to-date, ensuring the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this website, or any form of damages or monetary loss caused by or attributed to the use of this website, including but not limited to claims based on negligence or breach of contract.

Site by the Community Legal Assistance Society. Content available under Creative Commons CC BY-NC licence. This guide is made possible by funding from the British Columbia Ministry of Justice and the Law Foundation of British Columbia. This guide was originally produced by David Mossop, Q.C.
Law Foundation of British ColumbiaCLAS Community Legal Assistance Society