Community Legal Assistance Society - BC Judicial Review Self-Help Guide

2. Eviction Process

To legally evict you from your rental unit, your landlord must:

  • Serve you with a copy of the order of possession.
  • Wait 2 days for the period to file an application for review consideration with the Residential Tenancy Branch to pass.
  • Use the order of possession to obtain a writ of possession from the BC Supreme Court registry.
  • Use the writ of possession to hire a court-appointed bailiff to evict you.

Note that if you have moved out of your rental unit and stopped paying rent, but you have left stuff behind, then your landlord may not have to follow this process to remove your belongings. See information about the process for landlords to deal with abandoned property on the Residential Tenancy Branch website.

This website, or, is produced for educational purposes only. This website has information on common situations, but does not cover all possible situations. You should not rely on this website as legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should get legal advice on your particular situation.

This website may contain inaccurate or misleading information. The law, including statutes, regulations, court rules, court practices, and court precedents can change without warning and those changes may not be reflected in this website. The Community Legal Assistance Society, its funders, its authors, its contributors, its editors, and the distributors of this website are not responsible for ensuring this website is up-to-date, ensuring the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this website, or any form of damages or monetary loss caused by or attributed to the use of this website, including but not limited to claims based on negligence or breach of contract.

Site by the Community Legal Assistance Society. Content available under Creative Commons CC BY-NC licence. This guide is made possible by funding from the British Columbia Ministry of Justice and the Law Foundation of British Columbia. This guide was originally produced by David Mossop, Q.C.
Law Foundation of British ColumbiaCLAS Community Legal Assistance Society