Community Legal Assistance Society - BC Judicial Review Self-Help Guide

Serving the Interim Stay Order

If the judge granted you an interim stay order, it is essential that you serve the entered order on the other parties as soon as possible. It is especially important that you serve the order on your landlord to ensure your landlord doesn’t try to evict you.

The section Serving a Judicial Review has more information on how to serve court documents on parties.

Regular: If you used a regular interim stay procedure, you will have already served the other parties with the petition for judicial review, and the affidavit in support of petition, so you just need to serve the interim stay order.

Without notice: If you used a without notice interim stay procedure, you will need to serve the other parties with the petition for judicial review, the affidavit in support of petition, and the interim stay order.

Remember, the interim stay order does not resolve your eviction issue permanently! It only puts the order of possession on hold temporarily. This means it is very important that you either set your judicial review down for hearing, or find a new place to live, before the interim stay runs out.

This website, or, is produced for educational purposes only. This website has information on common situations, but does not cover all possible situations. You should not rely on this website as legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should get legal advice on your particular situation.

This website may contain inaccurate or misleading information. The law, including statutes, regulations, court rules, court practices, and court precedents can change without warning and those changes may not be reflected in this website. The Community Legal Assistance Society, its funders, its authors, its contributors, its editors, and the distributors of this website are not responsible for ensuring this website is up-to-date, ensuring the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this website, or any form of damages or monetary loss caused by or attributed to the use of this website, including but not limited to claims based on negligence or breach of contract.

Site by the Community Legal Assistance Society. Content available under Creative Commons CC BY-NC licence. This guide is made possible by funding from the British Columbia Ministry of Justice and the Law Foundation of British Columbia. This guide was originally produced by David Mossop, Q.C.
Law Foundation of British ColumbiaCLAS Community Legal Assistance Society