Community Legal Assistance Society - BC Judicial Review Self-Help Guide

How to Serve the RTB and the Attorney General

You can serve Director of the Residential Tenancy Branch and the Attorney General together in either of the following ways:

  • In-person: take a copy of your stamped petition and affidavit into the Ministry of the Attorney General’s office in Victoria during office hours, and leave it with a lawyer there. Make sure you write down the date, time, and the name of the lawyer when you go to the Legal Services Branch of the Ministry of Justice, 1001 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC.
  • By registered mail: Send a copy of your stamped petition and affidavit by registered mail to the Deputy Attorney General in Victoria. If you are using this method, keep your receipts and tracking number. The Attorney General’s Victoria address is:

Deputy Attorney General
Ministry of Attorney General
PO Box 9290 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria BC V8W 9J7

  • Do not serve the petition and supporting documents at the RTB office in Burnaby
  • Do not serve the petition and supporting documents at a Service BC Centre. 

You should include a cover letter with the documents that you are serving.

This is a blank service letter that you can download and fill in: Blank Service Letter

This is an example service letter that you can use as a guide: Example Service Letter

This website, or, is produced for educational purposes only. This website has information on common situations, but does not cover all possible situations. You should not rely on this website as legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should get legal advice on your particular situation.

This website may contain inaccurate or misleading information. The law, including statutes, regulations, court rules, court practices, and court precedents can change without warning and those changes may not be reflected in this website. The Community Legal Assistance Society, its funders, its authors, its contributors, its editors, and the distributors of this website are not responsible for ensuring this website is up-to-date, ensuring the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this website, or any form of damages or monetary loss caused by or attributed to the use of this website, including but not limited to claims based on negligence or breach of contract.

Site by the Community Legal Assistance Society. Content available under Creative Commons CC BY-NC licence. This guide is made possible by funding from the British Columbia Ministry of Justice and the Law Foundation of British Columbia. This guide was originally produced by David Mossop, Q.C.
Law Foundation of British ColumbiaCLAS Community Legal Assistance Society