Community Legal Assistance Society - BC Judicial Review Self-Help Guide

Begin a Judicial Review

If you don’t have the option of filing an application for review consideration with the Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB), or if you filed an application for review consideration with the RTB and lost, you can consider filing a judicial review in BC Supreme Court.

A judicial review is a legal process in which you can ask a BC Supreme Court judge to set aside your order of possession. However, simply filing a judicial review does not automatically put your eviction on hold. Unless you apply for, and obtain, a court order saying that your eviction is put on hold (an “interim stay of eviction”), your landlord can go ahead with the eviction while your judicial review is pending.

The next steps on this website will describe how to conduct a judicial review in BC Supreme Court.

This website, or, is produced for educational purposes only. This website has information on common situations, but does not cover all possible situations. You should not rely on this website as legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should get legal advice on your particular situation.

This website may contain inaccurate or misleading information. The law, including statutes, regulations, court rules, court practices, and court precedents can change without warning and those changes may not be reflected in this website. The Community Legal Assistance Society, its funders, its authors, its contributors, its editors, and the distributors of this website are not responsible for ensuring this website is up-to-date, ensuring the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this website, or any form of damages or monetary loss caused by or attributed to the use of this website, including but not limited to claims based on negligence or breach of contract.

Site by the Community Legal Assistance Society. Content available under Creative Commons CC BY-NC licence. This guide is made possible by funding from the British Columbia Ministry of Justice and the Law Foundation of British Columbia. This guide was originally produced by David Mossop, Q.C.
Law Foundation of British ColumbiaCLAS Community Legal Assistance Society