Community Legal Assistance Society - BC Judicial Review Self-Help Guide

Request Correction or Clarification

If a decision or an order of the Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB) contains obvious errors or if the arbitrator left out information she or he said would be included, you can submit a request for correction to the RTB. You must submit a request for a correction within 15 days after receiving the decision or order. You do not need to notify your landlord unless an arbitrator says you must do so.

If a decision or order of the RTB seems unclear, you can submit a request for clarification to the RTB. You must submit a request for clarification within 15 days after receiving the decision or order. You do not need to notify your landlord unless an arbitrator says you must do so.

A request for a correction or clarification is only effective to fix minor errors. Here are some examples:

  • The decision says that the rental unit is at 134 Maple Street, but the rental unit is actually at 143 Maple Street.
  • The arbitrator made a mathematical error in adding up the amount of rent owed.

You can learn more about requesting a a correction or clarification on the Residential Tenancy Branch website.

If you believe there are serious errors in the arbitrator’s decision, you may be able to challenge the decision through an application for review consideration with the RTB or a judicial review with BC Supreme Court.


This website, or, is produced for educational purposes only. This website has information on common situations, but does not cover all possible situations. You should not rely on this website as legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should get legal advice on your particular situation.

This website may contain inaccurate or misleading information. The law, including statutes, regulations, court rules, court practices, and court precedents can change without warning and those changes may not be reflected in this website. The Community Legal Assistance Society, its funders, its authors, its contributors, its editors, and the distributors of this website are not responsible for ensuring this website is up-to-date, ensuring the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this website, or any form of damages or monetary loss caused by or attributed to the use of this website, including but not limited to claims based on negligence or breach of contract.

Site by the Community Legal Assistance Society. Content available under Creative Commons CC BY-NC licence. This guide is made possible by funding from the British Columbia Ministry of Justice and the Law Foundation of British Columbia. This guide was originally produced by David Mossop, Q.C.
Law Foundation of British ColumbiaCLAS Community Legal Assistance Society