Community Legal Assistance Society - BC Judicial Review Self-Help Guide

Writ of Possession

To forcibly evict you a landlord must take the order of possession down to the BC Supreme Court Registry and get a document called a writ of possession from the Court. This is a very quick process.

To get a writ of possession a landlord must swear an affidavit that says:

  • The 2 days for filing an application review consideration has passed;
  • The landlord contacted the Residential Tenancy Branch after the time for filing for review had passed and confirmed that no application for review was filed or that the landlord has received a written decision stating that the application for review of the has been refused, dismissed, or concluded with the original decision and order being confirmed.
  • The order for possession was not suspended; and
  • You have not obeyed the order of possession and vacated your rental unit.

Once a landlord has a writ of possession, s/he can hire a court bailiff to enforce the eviction.

This website, or, is produced for educational purposes only. This website has information on common situations, but does not cover all possible situations. You should not rely on this website as legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should get legal advice on your particular situation.

This website may contain inaccurate or misleading information. The law, including statutes, regulations, court rules, court practices, and court precedents can change without warning and those changes may not be reflected in this website. The Community Legal Assistance Society, its funders, its authors, its contributors, its editors, and the distributors of this website are not responsible for ensuring this website is up-to-date, ensuring the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this website, or any form of damages or monetary loss caused by or attributed to the use of this website, including but not limited to claims based on negligence or breach of contract.

Site by the Community Legal Assistance Society. Content available under Creative Commons CC BY-NC licence. This guide is made possible by funding from the British Columbia Ministry of Justice and the Law Foundation of British Columbia. This guide was originally produced by David Mossop, Q.C.
Law Foundation of British ColumbiaCLAS Community Legal Assistance Society