Community Legal Assistance Society - BC Judicial Review Self-Help Guide

1. Options

If you have received a decision from the Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB), you have several options. The most straight-forward option is simply to abide by the decision. However, as you are here looking at this guide, you may not want to. You may feel that there is a problem with the decision. In that case, you have a few options:

  1. Abide by the decision. For example, if you are a tenant and the RTB has issued your landlord an order of possession, then you can leave your rental unit according to the terms on the order of possession.
  2. Negotiate.
  3. Request a correction or clarification from the RTB.
  4. Apply for review consideration from the RTB.
  5. Complain to the provincial Ombudsperson.
  6. Begin a judicial review in BC Supreme Court.

This website, or, is produced for educational purposes only. This website has information on common situations, but does not cover all possible situations. You should not rely on this website as legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should get legal advice on your particular situation.

This website may contain inaccurate or misleading information. The law, including statutes, regulations, court rules, court practices, and court precedents can change without warning and those changes may not be reflected in this website. The Community Legal Assistance Society, its funders, its authors, its contributors, its editors, and the distributors of this website are not responsible for ensuring this website is up-to-date, ensuring the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this website, or any form of damages or monetary loss caused by or attributed to the use of this website, including but not limited to claims based on negligence or breach of contract.

Site by the Community Legal Assistance Society. Content available under Creative Commons CC BY-NC licence. This guide is made possible by funding from the British Columbia Ministry of Justice and the Law Foundation of British Columbia. This guide was originally produced by David Mossop, Q.C.
Law Foundation of British ColumbiaCLAS Community Legal Assistance Society